Church Periodical Club
Education, knowledge and literacy through the printed word
Church Periodical Club Sunday recognized May 3
The Church Periodical Club is an independent organization within the Episcopal Church that was created in the late 1800s and is dedicated to promoting worldwide ministry of literacy through the printed word. The first materials were sent westward across America by Welles Fargo stagecoaches in 1888. The CPC recognizes the need for books for children, medical books and textbooks for adults and reference and history books for libraries and churches, as well as Prayer books and Bibles. The printed word remains the most powerful means of communication in the world and the CPC, through its National Books Fund grants, provides free religious and secular literature and related materials worldwide to people who have no other way to obtain them.
The CPC acquires the funds for this mission primarily through private donations and donations given in congregations, communities and seminaries each year on CPC Sunday. The Presiding Bishop has traditionally set the first Sunday in May each year as CPC Sunday. In 2015, this day is Sunday, May 3. We ask congregations to dedicate the plate offerings at all services that day to the work of the CPC’s National Books Fund. Personal checks, payable to each individual’s congregation, should be marked for “CPC National Books Fund” in the memo space.
Each congregation should then send one check for the total funds collected to the CPC diocesan director to be recorded and sent for deposit to the NBF. The CPC Director for the Diocese of Southern Ohio is Jane O. Nurse. Donations should be mailed to Nurse at 4319 Joan Place, Mariemont, Ohio 45227-3304 If your congregation needs materials for CPC Sunday such as prayer cards, special litany of CPC, envelopes or an order form, please contact Nurse at email@example.com. We pray that each faith community in the diocese will participate in CPC Sunday this year.